“Named in honor of the Roman goddess of fruit, the City of Pomona has a history as rich as its fertile soil. The Pomona area was situated along a trade route used by Native Americans. The first recorded inhabitants were the Gabrieleno Native Americans. The valley became known in the 1700′s as Rancho San Jose. A year later it became part of the Mission San Gabriel Grazing lands. Over fifty years later, two soldiers, Don Ingacio Palomares and Don Ricardo Vejar petitioned the governor and on April, 1837 were granted rights to the land.
In the early 1800s, Pomona was known as an ‘urban garden.’ Pomona quickly became an economic leader in citrus. In the 1870s, the coming of the railroad spurred agriculture. Pomona’s role in the expanding industry influenced the citrus community to name ‘Pomona’ after the Roman goddess of fruit and fruit trees. The name proved prophetic and vineyards flourished in the 1880s, supplying the winemaking and raisin industries. Citrus orchards and olive groves replaced vineyards in the 1890s and, through its agricultural enterprises Pomona maintained an economic lead in the valley.
On January 6,1888, Pomona was incorporated as a City and became a charter City in 1911. Today, Pomona is the fifth-largest city in Los Angeles County, with a population of over 163,000 residents.”
Source: City of Pomona